Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th

I can't believe it has been 5 years since the world was changed forever. I was not affected directly by that event but I have been to NYC to see ground zero. It is a sobering experience. I can't even explain the feelings that rushed over me as I stood there looking out over this huge pit in the middle of a city filled with people. I turned around at one point to look at what was around me and I could see in my head that cloud of smoke and debris coming up the street and the images of people running away. I wondered for a split second what it must have felt like to have lived thru such an event. I am thankful to the core that I can only wonder. I pray I never have such an event brush into my life. I still have that same feeling come over me every time I see the photos from that trip. I transport myself back to that time and I can just feel the goosebumps on my arms starting rise. I am so lucky that I could visit this area first hand. It really helped me to understand the magnitude of the buildings, the surface area, and how many people where really affected directly by that act. As I stood there behind the fence looking up all the other buildings around there I had to remind myself that the height of the world trade center was still taller than any other building in the area. Being a country girl, it was so hard for me to understand the greatness of those structures. The height of them was more than I could imagine. I still can't believe it has happened in my life time.

I did take a moment today to pray for those affected and to really think about how lucky I am to live in a country where we are allowed so many freedoms. I am happy to have my life and thankful for my family and friends. I am truly blessed.

God Bless Us All...and for that we thank YOU.

No comments: