Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Jr. National Young Leaders Conference

So...I might have posted this already but I am pretty sure it was a FB post. Z got picked to represent our town in Washington DC for the National Young Leaders Conference. I was so excited, I was shaking as I opened it and was reading it. Then the tears started. I cried because I was so proud of him for getting asked, then I cried because I saw the cost, then I was crying because I knew he would never go and I was sad that he would miss out on such an awesome experience. Because frankly, he's only really ever stayed overnight at a friends house once before and heck, he doesn't even stay with his Nana much. So I knew in my heart he would not want to go. Well I took the letter with me when I went to pick him from Science Olympiad practice after school. I showed him the letter and said, well what you do think about that! And he asks, When do I leave? I was awe struck. What? He said he wanted to go? REALLY? Because I never imagined in my wildest dreams he would want too? So now I feel like crying again. Did he really just say he wanted to go and leave me for 6 days? REALLY? Can he? Can I make it? So now it's a whole 'nother ballgame. We have to see what we can do to make this happen. It's nearly $2K to go. Plus cost to get there and spending money. Ummm...can we do this?
So fast forward to now....He still wants to go and we have raised about half the amount he needs so far with just family and friends. But it's still not enough. So, we are now going to be doing fundraiser for him! We are going to have hotdog/bake sale outside our local store on May 1. It will be done by donations only. So we shall see how this pans out! I'm so proud of the work he has put into this so far. He's asked all the questions and mailed out his own letters to family and friends letting them know about his adventure. He really really really wants to do this. How can I not let him? I have to let him grow, go, be, and become! He can do this...I can do this! What an opportunity for him! I'm so proud of him and I can't wait to see DC thru his eyes. I've never been there myself yet! So I will keep you all updated on our progress. And I will be sure to post pictures of him at the hot dog sale! My boy is shaping up to be all he can be and more! I've done well with my boys for sure!

No comments: