Saturday, June 30, 2007

EHD & Organization

External Hard Drives. If you don't own one, get one. I just spent the last day going thru all my Digi downloads and loading them on to my EHD. I have been very lucky with computer and thought I was really pushing my luck by not having a back up for all my stuff that I buy. So, I bit the bullet and sat yesterday and did that. I found stuff that I didn't know I had! LOL Which is a good thing I guess. They are all freebies that I have found one place or another.

Now, I need to pick your brains. I was on a chat last night with Dragon Flaire Studios. They were talking about storage using the ACDSee program. Well, it was very informative. So it got me thinking. As did my hero, about sorting and storage. I am so freaked out about starting this project but it has to be done. I waste more time just looking for what I want then actually putting stuff together. I know I have it but where...

So, I want to discuss storage and how to tackle it. I have heard some do it by color, some by theme. I want to know what YOU do. Please share and help me get started. It's still a managable project at this point in my digi life, but if I don't grab the bull by the horns NOW, it will be a nightmare.

I want specific details...how do you even start? Is it with folders? I am clueless. Do I need ANOTHER EHD just for this reason? Help!

1 comment:

Krystal Hartley said...

I think you are going to get as many suggestions as there are scrapbookers...same with papercraft storage. The one advantage you have is..you don't have to choose between a well-organized scrap room and portable storage...which was always my challenge.

Some people like to organize by designer. And this is helpful when you know that they design kits with coordinating paper and embellishments...you can just pull everything from that same folder.

But those of us who like to mix and match our stuff...i like to have BOTH designer and color.

I don't worry too much about THEME because that has never been the first way I look for stuff anyhow...I'm moved by the style and color more than the themed items. Maybe if it's an embellishment or word art that is specifically themed...you could create folders for those. But the papers, flowers, and other stuff in a themed kit could still work with anything really. KWIM?